Galerie umění Karlovy Vary / v běhu času
|Citation||SAMEC, Jan. Galerie umění Karlovy Vary / v běhu času. Museum: Museum and Regional Studies. Prague: National Museum, 2014, 52(2), 30-34. ISSN 1803-0386. Also available from: https://publikace.nm.cz/en/periodicals/mmars/52-2/galerie-umeni-karlovy-vary-v-behu-casu|
The Regional Art Gallery was established in Karlovy Vary in January 1953. At that time it was one of eight specialised museums in Bohemia and Moravia. At the outset the National Gallery in Prague assisted with exhibitions and with advice about collections. Its first decade was significantly influenced by the governing socialist ideology. During the 1960’s the level of cultural dogma gradually diminished and the Gallery discovered its own acquisition and exhibition concepts. Although with the Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia the new liberal environment ended, the Gallery still remained partially independent of the official cultural policy throughout the subsequent 20 years: a number of Czech and Slovak contemporary artists who, during that period, were unable to hold exhibitions in Prague at that time did have exhibitions in the Gallery. The Gallery also collected high-quality Czech and Slovak modern art of the early 20th Century. This constitutes the basis of a collection that today comprises more than ten thousand items. After 1989 the Gallery concentrated on the trends current at that time and on top-level Czech artists. During the last decade it has extended its educational programmes and has co-operated both with regional artists and with foreign countries.