The medals of the counts of Coudenhove
|Keywords||Castle library Poběžovice – Johann Count Coudenhove-Kalergi library and medals (1893–1965) – numismatics catalogue of medals|
|Citation||KLEISNER, Tomáš. The medals of the counts of Coudenhove. Acta Musei Nationalis Pragae – Historia litterarum. Prague: National Museum, 2012, 57(1-2), 150-155. ISSN 0036-5351. Also available from: https://publikace.nm.cz/en/periodicals/amnphl/57-1-2/the-medals-of-the-counts-of-coudenhove|
Numismatic collections had been part of castle libraries since the Renaissance. Librarian Dr Helga Turková, to whom this volume is dedicated, catalogued the nationalised library of the Poběžovice (Ronsperg in German) Castle in summers 1987 and 1988. The last private owner was Johann Count Coudenhove-Kalergi (1893–1965) sent out copies of the four different medals he ordered between 1917 and 1940 (nos. 4–7). His younger brother Richard Nikolaus (1894–1972) was the founder of the first popular movement for a united Europe (nos. 8–9). Charles Maria Coudenhove from a different branch of the family, was between 1896 and 1911 a stern governor of Bohemia (no. 1). His brother Max Julius was the last holder of the post when the Republic was proclaimed in 1918 (nos. 2–3).