Nové Syrovice Castle Library
|Keywords||Nové Syrovice – castle library – Counts of Nimptsch – Counts of Stubenberg – early printed books – Silesiaca|
|Type of Article||Materialia|
|Citation||MAŠEK, Petr. Nové Syrovice Castle Library. Acta Musei Nationalis Pragae – Historia litterarum. Prague: National Museum, 2022, 67(1-2), 62–65. DOI: https://doi.org/10.37520/amnpsc.2022.008. ISSN 2570-6861 (Print), 2570-687X (Online). Also available from: https://publikace.nm.cz/en/periodicals/acta-musei-nationalis-pragae-historia-litterarum/67-1-2/nove-syrovice-castle-library|
The Nové Syrovice Castle library was collected by the Counts of Nimptsch, in particular Count Johann Heinrich von Nimptsch (1723–1806) and Count Karl von Nimptsch (1803–1869), and it also contains traces of the library of the Counts Marcolini. A later part of the collection was added by the Counts of Stubenberg. What is interesting is the manuscript collection, including a set of plans and drawings depicting the Hungarian fortress of Eger (Erlau) and the legal norms applicable to the duchies of Silesia. Works coming from the 16th century were mainly written by ancient authors. Early printed books are mostly in French and Latin, to a lesser extent in German, and occasionally in other languages, such as English. In addition to fiction, the library comprises numerous works of law, history, and French scientific publications. The collection contains relatively few 19th-century books; 20th-century works are completely absent, having been discarded in the 1950s.