Wad Ben Naga Report III: The Circular Building Complex
The third volume of the series dedicated to the archaeological exploration of the ancient site of Wad Ben Naga in the present-day Republic of Sudan focuses on the so-called Circular Building (WBN 50) and its auxiliary structures (WBN 600). The Circular Building complex was uncovered in 1958–1959 by a Sudanese mission and re-excavated recently by the archaeological expedition of the National Museum. The report presents the history of exploration of the complex, its results, and the finds retrieved from its vestiges. Discussion on the architecture, chronological setting and function of the building follows. The structure is interpreted as a shrine in an uncommon local architectural form. As an appendix to the report, finds from the 1958–1959 excavations that cannot be attributed to a specific structure at the site are included.